Australian running back Jarryd Hayne will return to the San Francisco 49ers in 2016 which was confirmed by general manager Trent Baalke, as reported by Fox Sports News.
“We haven’t spent a ton of time speaking about individual players on a roster yet but I’ll tell you [Kelly is] well aware of Jarryd … He’s excited to get his hands on him, the whole coaching staff is,” Baalke said.
Baalke also talked about the reasons why Hayne had been waived earlier in the 2015 season. As we had suspected the 49ers were concerned that Hayne was not contributing to the running game and was failing in his primary role as a punt returner due to the fumbles.
“In that point in time, we just felt he needed more time, he needed more seasoning and we needed some guys on the 53 [-man roster] that could be on the 46 that would give us the best chance of winning football games,” Baalke said to Sydney Morning Herald reporter Michael Chammas.
Some fantastic news come from Jesse Williams, as per his twitter account he announced he has the all clear to return to football.
— Jesse Williams (@ThaMonstar) January 28, 2016
The cancer diagnosis was the latest – and biggest – setback for Williams, who has yet to play a down in the NFL after undergoing knee surgery in each of his first two seasons with Seattle. Williams returned from kidney surgery to play in the preseason opener but was held out for the 2015 season.
Let hope the Seahawks or another NFL team bring Jesse in to give him a chance to make the roster.