The Ray Guy Award is named for football’s premier punter and honors the nation’s best collegiate punter. Four Australian’s have been named amongst 10 semi-finalists who are Steven Coutts, Michael Dickson, Cameron Johnston & Mitch Wishnowsky (Pictured).
After the semifinalists are announced, three finalists who will be identified on Tuesday, Nov. 22. Then the winner will be announced live on ESPN during The Home Depot College Football Awards on Thursday, Dec. 8.
The past three winners have all been Australians and from Pro Kick Australia with Tom Hornsey (2013) and Tom Hackett who won twice (2014 &2015).
Full list of the 2016 Ray Guy Award Semifinalists
- Austin Barnes (Jr.), Eastern Michigan University
- Nicholas Conte (Sr.), University of Virginia
- Steven Coutts (So.), University of Louisiana at Lafayette
- Joseph Davidson (Jr.), Bowling Green State University
- Michael Dickson (So.), University of Texas
- Hayden Hunt (Sr.), Colorado State University
- Cameron Johnston (Sr.), Ohio State University
- Zach Sinor (So.), Oklahoma State University
- Johnny Townsend (Jr.), University of Florida
- Mitch Wishnowsky (So.), University of Utah
The Ray Guy Award winner is selected by a national voting body of Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) coaches, sports information directors, national media and former Ray Guy Award winners. Punters are evaluated on their overall statistics and contribution to the team. Particular emphasis is placed on the following statistics; number of punts, gross average, net average, percentage of total punts inside the 20-yard line and percentage of punts not returned.
It would be a massive achievement for another Australian to take out the award and we would love nothing more than to see another Australian take it out.